Monday, January 1, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2018 - Week 1 Start





I was always interested in family history but didn’t truly start researching until the death of my grandfather.

My grandfather, John Nelson Moore, was born in Savannah, Georgia in 1889.  That was about the extent of my knowledge of his background.  At his funeral I was talking to his nephew, John Nelson Cosgrove, and he told me that the Moore family founded a small town in Canada.  I was flabbergasted how did the family start in Canada and end up in Savannah.

That was the time I started researching for real.  The next month my husband and I took a motorcycle ride up to MOORES MILLS, New Brunswick, Canada.  We found so much information about the family in the town, church, library  and archives.  It took me many years to put it all into a genealogy program and authenticate all the dates with certificates.  In the process, a second cousin of my mother who lives in the area in Canada, contacted me.

The surprises kept coming.  My grandfather’s grandfather, Horatio Nelson Moore was born in Moores Mills and helped his brother in a furniture and piano business.  This cousin had a house full of their furniture and had donated it to a living museum.

As you might have noticed the name Nelson has run through the family since Horatio Nelson Moore was born in 1825.  Of course, we figure he was named for the Admiral of the English Royal Navy of the same name.

1 comment:

  1. G'day Barbara,
    Amazing how one little comment can lead a person far away from home! How great to find the family had a town named after then and so special that you could then visit the town to see the sights.

    ReplyDelete