Saturday, December 4, 2010

Occupations

One of the best ways to understand the lives of your ancestors is to look at their occupations.

My great grandfather William John Mathers was a shoe and boot maker.  I believe he lived over his shop in New York City most of his life.  In the census records where they ask for occupation, he is listed as a shoemaker.  I've also found it noted in the city directories of the time period he lived in New York City.  I found an old film that had to do with having a shoe making business.  The film is "Hobson's Choice" with John Mills and Charles Laughton.  The movie really showed you how a shop would look back years ago.  I'm sure great grandfather William worked long and hard everyday and made a very nice living for his large family.

No comments:

Post a Comment