Friday, January 13, 2023

 52 Ancestors 52 weeks. Jan 13, 2023


Out of Place


I researched a brother of my Grandfather.  His name was William Joseph Mathers/Mathews.  Everything I knew about him had him in New York City or Queens New York, particularly Richmond Hill.  He was a dancer on Broadway and several census records said he was a prop man in Broadway plays.  I found him in the 1940 census living with his Aunt Katie.  After that I couldn’t find him. No one I talked to in the family remembered when he died.  I then got a hint on Ancestry that I almost didn’t look at.  It said Lake Placid, NY.  I checked it out and sure enough it was him.  He was in a sanatorium because of TB.  I never would have looked upstate for him.  It was all because the hints on Ancestry.  I did find when he died and where he was buried.  Thank you Ancestry.

No comments:

Post a Comment