Friday, January 27, 2023

 52 Ancestors 52 Weeks



OOPS!


Years ago I found my husband’s grandparents in the Ship’s Passenger List.  They arrived in New York harbor 16 June 1899 on the Ship H.H. Meier out of the Port of Bremen in Germany. They came from Moscow to Bremen.  I originally read it as  Jwan and Alexandra Glasow.  Jwan used John when he was living in New Jersey until his death in 1910.

The oops, comes when I spoke to someone who was Russian and he read the name.  He said it was Ivan.  The w has a v sound. Also, when I look at the script on the passenger list, it definitely looks like an I not a J.   The last name Glasow eventually ended being spelt Glassoff/Glessoff.

All these years I have been writing Jwan when he should have been Ivan, and Ivan make more sense for a Russian first name.

                                

No comments:

Post a Comment