Monday, January 14, 2019

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks – Unusual Names




Blogger Amy Johnson Crow has challenged us with writing about an Ancestor once a week for the year 2019.  She will give us prompts to get us started.  This week's prompt is Unusual Names.



Most of my ancestors have simple names.

There is one family that has two unusual names.  My 3rd great grandmother, Thankful Foster Moore and her husband, Tristram Moore.  I was thinking at first only about Thankful then I realized her husband has an unusual name also.

Most women with that name were Puritans.  They were famous for the names Charity, Thankful, and Blessing back in the 1600’s.  My Thankful was born in 1783 in Machias, Maine to Benjamin Foster and Elizabeth Scott and I don’t have any indication that they were Puritans.  Her siblings’ names were basic for the time, Jeremiah, Simeon, Sally, and Susan.  Something extra ordinary must have happened at that time in their lives to name their daughter Thankful.  I have not found any other Thankful’s in my family except my 3rd great grandmother.

Tristram Moore was born 1780 in New Boston, New Hampshire to William Moore and Hannah Livingstone.  His brothers had very basic Irish names, Thomas, William, John, and George.  His sisters were Elizabeth, Martha, Jane, Mary, Hannah and Anna.

The first Moore to come to America was Tristram’s grandfather, William Moor/Moore.  William came from Colraine, Londonderry, Ireland.  I looked at some church records from that time and place and found a couple of Tristram’s.  I have not connected them to my family at this time though. The only other Tristram I have found is my great grandfather, Tristram Anderson Moore born in 1851 in St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment