Saturday, March 3, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 9 Where There’s a Will






I have not found many Wills among our ancestors.  The one that is most loved is the one from William Moor.  He was the first of the Moor/Moore family to arrive from Ireland in 1718.

William Moor was my 5th Great Grandfather.   I have not been able to find any church records confirming his birth or marriage to his wife Martha.  I have surmised from his will that Martha’s maiden name was Anderson but have no proof.  He died January 15, 1740 in Derry, New Hampshire.



This Will is the only Will I have found of all my Moor ancestors.  The Will was in the Records of Rockingham County, New Hampshire and I am taking it from the book “A Memorial of Loyalist Families of William Moore, Josiah Hitchings and Robert Livingstone” by John Elliott Moore, published in 1898.  William Moore was born in Ireland in the valley of the river Bann, the dividing line between the counties of Derry and Antrim about 1680.

This Will indicates his place of residence, putting him in a particular place and time, where I can further research for records.  He names his wife, Martha.  Unfortunately, he doesn’t give her maiden name, but his executors are Allen and Samuel Anderson, which gives me the idea her maiden might be Anderson.  You would usually have people very close to you or relatives be your executors.

The will also names all his children, George, Thomas, Allen, William, Jane, Betty and Mary.  As you can see one son is Allen, that would also indicate that Allen Anderson might be a relative.

I was just amazed that a copy of this document from 1740 was important enough to be printed in a book about the family back in 1898.  One other thing that is wonderful about this Will is his actual signature.  Most people during that era couldn’t read or write.



The Will of William Moor 1739



In the name of God Amen the sixth day of November in the year of our Lord God 1739, I William Moor of Londonderry in the Province of New Hampshire, being very sick and weak in body, but in perfect mind and memory, thanks be given unto God therefore, calling unto mind the mortality of my body and Knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament, That is to say principally and first of all.  I give and recommend my Soul unto the hands of God that gave it, and for my body I recommend it to the Earth to be burried in a Christian Like and decent Manner, at the discrition of My Executors Nothing Doubting but at the General Reserection I shall Recive the same again by the mighty Power of God and as touching Such Worldly Estate wherewith it hath Pleased God to bless me in the life I Give Bequath and dispose of the same in the following Manner and form Imprimis I Give and Bequath to Martha my dear Beloved wife my Lands Goods and Chattles by her to be Possessed and Kept Together for the use Benefit and Maintainance of her and my Beloved Children, which Lands they are to Labor and be obedient to her and She as in Duty bound to Learn and Instruct them as God Shall Enable her Enduring her life but and if it Should please God to Call her hence then the boys that are under age to be bound out to Trade.   Item the Lands goods and Chattles which shall or may be at her Decease to be sold and made into money I do Leave and Bequeath unto by beloved Sons George Moor, Thomas Moor, Allen Moor and William Moor, in Equal parts and Portions one hundred and Twenty Pound being Exampted and Given to my well Beloved Daughters.  Item to my Beloved Daughter Jane Christy, I Leave and Bequeath Twenty Pounds and to my Beloved Daughter Betty Moor I Leave and Bequeath fifty Pounds and to  my Beloved Daughter Mary Moor I Leave and Bequeath Fifty Pounds and if Either Betty or Mary Should die Without Issue her part to be Given to the other and Likewise my Beloved sons if any of them Should die without Issue their part to come to their Brethren, I likewise Constitute make and ordain Allen Anderson and Samuel Anderson my only and sole Executors of this my Last will and Testament, and do Ratify and Confirm this and no other to be my Last Will and Testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto Set my hand Seal the Day and year above Written



Signed Sealed Published                                              Signed William Moor

                                                                                                        

                                                                                                         


Pronounced & Declared by

the said William Moor

as his Last Will & Testament

               In Presence of us the Subscribers Viz

               Archibald Miller, Thomas

               Dunshe, Thomas Bacon,

               Proved Augst 26, 1741









Blogger Amy Johnson Crowe started this 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks because family history is better when it’s shared.  This is a series of prompts to help share discoveries I’ve made in my genealogy. The prompt this week is “Where There’s a Will”



#52Ancestors


No comments:

Post a Comment