Friday, March 30, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 13 Homestead




I have talked about the home in Ireland where my Grandmother, Mary Mc Guigan, was born in my blog before.  I was in contact with my grandmother’s niece over the years and she sent me a picture of the home. I do love that I have a picture from Ireland, so I can imagine what my Grandmother’s life was like in the 1870’s and 1880’s when she lived in the house.

This house and property was in the family from 1865 to 1929 according to the land records at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI).  The first record available that I was able to see was from 1865.  It is from the County Armagh, Parish of Tynan, Election District Middletown and Townland Crossdall.  The reference number for the property recorded on the map for the district is #43.  I can follow the progression through the years showing who owns the property and who is renting.  Starting in 1865, Patrick Mc Guigan, my 2nd great grandfather, is renting the property from Edward Johnstone.  The property is 14 acres.  The property is rented to Patrick Mc Guigan until 1884 when his name is crossed out and his son, Thomas (my great grandfather), is written in.  The last column on the page indicates that Patrick died.  Thomas Mc Guigan rents the property from Edward Johnstone until the last record that I was able to get online, in 1929.

This is a section of the map for Crossdall indicating the property lot #43 where the Mc Guigan’s have lived at least since 1865.  They were probably there before that time because Patrick Mc Guigan’s name was not added in 1865 over someone else.




Mc Guigan House and Property Lot #43
I do know that a great Nephew of my Grandmother now owns the property and has modernized the house and barns.

Blogger Amy Johnson Crowe started this 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks because family history is better when it’s shared.  This is a series of prompts to help share discoveries I’ve made in my genealogy.
#52Ancestors





No comments:

Post a Comment