Friday, October 10, 2014

JOHN MURPHY #39 52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS


John Murphy was born sometime around 1851 in Ireland.  He died April 14, 1891 in Brooklyn, New York. This man was the Great Grandfather of my husband and the Father of Thomas Joseph Murphy who I wrote about in #10 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks.

 

I have not found out very much about this man. The only census I have found him in is the 1880 census of New York.  He is listed with his wife Nora, and children Mary, Patrick, Thomas and Maggie.  His mother-in-law is also listed, Mary Quinlan.  I did find him in the city directory of Brooklyn in the late 1870’s living at the same address as Mary Quinlan.

 

In the census and directory he has indicated his occupation as Plasterer.  The 1880 census provided me with his wife’s maiden name, Quinlan, with this I looked for their marriage in New York and Ireland.  I have not been able to find a marriage certificate in either place.  I have found many John Murphy’s coming into New York from Ireland but have no way of proving which one is our John Murphy.  I was hoping they had married in Ireland and came over together.  I have not found Nora (Honora) Quinlan on any passenger lists either.

 

I did find the birth certificate of their first child, Mary in 1873.  I think that they might have married a year before her birth.

 

The only certificate I have of him is his Death Certificate and it only gives his birth place as Ireland.


Death Certificate of John Murphy April 14, 1891

No comments:

Post a Comment