Tuesday, May 28, 2019

52Ancestors 52Weeks - Military






Blogger Amy Johnson Crow has challenged us with writing about an Ancestor once a week for the year 2019.  She will give us prompts to get us started.  This week's prompt is Military.

Today is Memorial Day where we remember those who have served in the Military to keep our country free!



Several members of my family have served in the Military and I am very proud of them.  Early on we had Benjamin Foster who was involved with one of the first naval battles in Maine during the Revolutionary War.  Both of my 2nd Great Grandfathers were in the Civil War. John Counts was in Savannah, Georgia and Horatio N. Moore was in Mobile, Alabama.

I probably have relatives in the First World War but haven’t found the records yet.

My father, James Mathews and his brothers, Tom and William all served in the military during WW 11.  My father was in the Navy and was stationed stateside, New York City and Washington D.C.  The other two were in the Army and served overseas.

My cousin William Mathews Jr. also served in the Army during the Viet Nam War.  I do not have a photo of him in uniform though.

Towards the end of the Viet Nam War my brother Kevin was in the Marines.  He also was trained and served stateside.

              

  


William Mathews, Army   William Mathews, Dad    James Mathews, Navy



Thomas Mathews, Army


Kevin Mathews, Marines














No comments:

Post a Comment