Friday, September 5, 2014

JAMES MATHERS # 35 52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS





 

JAMES MATHERS was the oldest brother of my Grandfather, William Joseph Mathers-Mathews (#14 of 52 Ancestors) . JAMES MATHERS was born in New York City July 31, 1868.  His parents were William John (#5 of 52 Ancestors) and Mary (McCrudden) Mathers/Mathews.  One little note about his birth date.  My father, James Robert Mathews (#30 of 52 Ancestors) was born on the same day in 1920 and it wasn't until I was doing genealogy that he realized he was probably named after his Uncle James.

 


 

BIRTH CERTIFICATE OF JAMES MATHERS 1868

 

James was the father of William Mathews (#12 of 52 Ancestors) the dancer.

 

I have found him in the 1870 and 1880 census with his parents.

 

 


 

NEW YORK CENSUS 1870

 


 

New York Census 1880

 

In the 1900 census he is with a wife, Cecelia and son William.

 


 

NEW YORK CENSUS 1900

 

In the 1910 census the son William is living with his grandmother and I have not found either the father or mother in any census after that.

 


 

 

 

I have checked the death records and never found James but I am assuming he died sometime between 1900 and 1910.

 

This family has always been one of my "brick walls".  I was told Cecelia's maiden name was O'Brien but have never found a marriage certificate to confirm the information.  I never found a birth certificate for the son William.  I have not found a death certificate for any of the three.  Hopefully some one will read my blog who has some clue.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment