Monday, May 8, 2023

 52 ANCESTORS 51 WEEKS - BALD


Hereditary hair loss is the most common cause of baldness.


In my family on my father’s side baldness is very common.  It occurs mostly with boys who have curly hair when young.  


I know for sure that my grandfather, William Joseph Mathews, was bald in his 20’s.  The only photo I have of my great grandfather, William John Mathews, he has a hat on so not sure if he was bald.  My father, James Mathews and his brothers, Thomas and William James Mathews all were bald in their 20’s.  


My brothers, Kevin and James Mathews  lost their hair early and even my half brothers, Michael and John Mathews, lost their hair in their 20’s.


My one son, Michael who had very curly hair was told when he was very young to enjoy his hair while he could because he would lose it early.  So in the 70’s the Afro hair style was very popular, he had no trouble getting that style. My father thought it was terrible but we told him “you know he is going to lose it all in a few years let him enjoy it”.  My other son, James took after my husband’s side of the family and didn’t have curly hair and still has hair in his 50’s.


My sister, Pat’s boys, Chris, Kevin and Bob also have lost their hair early.


Unfortunately, my mother’s side also had the same problem.  I don’t have early photos of many of the ancestors.  My grandfather, John N. Moore and his son, John N. Moore Jr. both were bald early.  


Luckily none of the women had a hair loss problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment