Friday, March 24, 2023

 52 Ancestors 52 Weeks - Light a Candle


Many years ago, my father’s cousin, Bunny Morris, her name was actually Irene, would tell me about my cousins and aunts and uncles.


Bunny had the family stories all in her head. She would tell me all about how it was growing up in Richmond Hill, NY with all her cousins.  Everyone lived within a block or two.  You didn’t need school friends you had your cousins.  Bunny and my Aunt Kay, or Sister as she was known to everyone, were best friends.  Even when they were in their 60’s and 70’s they spent every weekend together, having tea and playing cards.  Of course, they gossiped about all the family too.


I had never met these cousins she talked about but I felt I knew them all.  I would visit Aunt Kay some weekends with my father. It was fun to listen to the stories.  I finally said to Bunny, please write down all these names and their connection to me.  I had to figure out who everyone belonged to.


It was like I lit a candle under her, the next time I saw her she had pages and pages listing all the sisters and brothers of my grandfather.  Then all their children and their children, with dates when they were all born.  After many years I have verified all her data, it was all right.  I have all the birth, marriage and death certificates to prove everything she listed.


Sometimes people just need a little push to write down what they know.  They think everyone knows what they know about family until you let them know you don’t and are very interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment